Sunday, November 20, 2005

Before London

I'm an American without the fortune of world travel. And in just 2.5 days, I will be flying towards that destiny. I'm nervous, and excited, and don't really know what to expect. And perhaps that's the beauty of it -- not knowing what to expect.

Even now, as I watch "The Butterfly Man," I don't know what to write. But I do not want to fall in love with London. No more than I did of Victoria. I only realize that the more I travel, the more I want to travel. I think I understand why God has not given me a husband to start a family with. God knows I need to travel. Sometimes that fact hurts for the lonliness when I hear the cackle of a toddler, or see the smile of a baby, but today, I see it in a different light. And I feel comfort and serenity.

Arghh.. no good descriptive phrases are coming from me tonight. And I don't know why except that there is a distinct feeling of loss somewhere within. Back from the risque side of me, status quo from here on out. I'm gazing at an island I once visited, and reminiscing about the time spent there.

And now I'm thinking about a memory that hasn't even begun yet. I'm formulating expecation and precious thoughts under blustery winds where Sherlock Holmes is ever-searching with Dr. Watson to save the world from the likes of Jack the Ripper. And an eerie wind blows the names of the millions of slaughtered townspeople, headless and sorrowful. Killed for religion, as many have sacrificed for centuries, but somehow the history of my home language resounds with a tinkling sound.

Well, cheers. And I'll raise a glass of Guiness for you too.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

WWWWOOOOO!

I'm even excited for you! But a word to the wise - the Guinness in London is not very good. The best Guinness in the world is obviously in Dublin, which is very close to London.

So, again, if you feel the urge to do a bit more travelling and you want to come to Dublin for a spell, get in touch with me or Jimmy and we'll bring you out and get you drunk and do naughty destructive things and blame them all on you : )

I've travelled a little bit but not enough for my liking. Really want to visit the States, New Zealand, Australia. I want to go back to Rome and Paris. I want to see Seville and Barcelona. I always want to go to London - I have friends there so it's a comfortable place to be. Want to see Hong Kong and Tokyo too.

Have Fun! And keep us updated on how it's going if you get the chance.

11/21/2005 8:38 AM  
Blogger Leese said...

Lucky lady! Have a great time and be safe. Enjoy the vacay...I think it's coming at a good time. ;)

11/22/2005 3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home