Thursday, December 08, 2005

It's Beginning To Look Alot Like Christmas

You can always tell when I'm procrastinating. I'm supposed to be finishing my project for class tomorrow, and yet, instead, I'm surfing the net and blogging. I suppose I can't be entirely blamed.

In response to why Los Angelians do not pub crawl:
  1. Pubs and bars are spread out further apart, in most cases five blocks or more. (Except in Hollywood where a beer will cost you $9-$10 a bottle.
  2. Blocks here are much longer than London (I assume other European cities are similar).
  3. People in Los Angeles do not walk. No, I'm not kidding. I've known people to drive three blocks away.
  4. Drive-thru windows. That's how Americans get their fast food; there is no walking -- only obesity in SUVs.
  5. The average vehicle here is a large SUV, not a Ford Explorer, but a Jeep Commander or a Suburban.
  6. Since people do not walk sober here, they also do not walk drunk (unless you're homeless).
  7. You can get arrested for walking around drunk. They call it public drunkeness.
  8. You can get a DUI and major consequences for driving drunk. Some people do it; I do not advocate doing it.
  9. I do love walking around drunk, but my friends do not. This can cause a ruckus.
  10. So there's the reasons. Oh, and yeah, bars here aren't as cool as over there.
I'm still procrastinating. I kinda miss the keyboards in the UK. The extra punctuation is different on the keyboards there. And, frankly, I'm feeling nostalgic. Hearing about that blast over there and now they've cancelled the special double-decker bus service, and I never got a chance to ride it. Kinda like how I wanted to go to New Orleans all this time and never did.

Well let's get to the point of the title. I love this season. And I don't care if it offends you religiously, but MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone! I really enjoy the sparkling lights, red blue green yellow white... everywhere. Candy canes and silver lanes, I love them all. And even though the weather is hanging around 68 degrees Farenheit here, I'm dreaming of a white Christmas because I'm going to Chicago for the holiday.

That's where I'm from. And I miss my family. Sometimes I think about all the memories I'm missing, and all the ones they're missing out on as I live so far away. I know it's inevitable, the growing up, but a part of me wants to anticipate all the presents in front of the tree, its outfit neatly accessorized with glass and plastic and foil (that is what garland is made of?). The light from the angel on top glistening in my mocha eyes. I stood in awe just watching it all. And even now, I can feel my heart pitter-pattering in the sweet joy when I see someone opening a something special from me. I love that look of surprise as the person opens it, and they smile so wide, the kind where their teeth show.

Anyway, I suppose I should get back to work... the website beckons.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

FUCK! That's an expensive beer. I would expect to get something with that like a handsome young man to help pour it down my throat while giving me a shoulder massage or something of that nature.
Technically, you can't be drunk in public here either but there's a whole grey area about "what is drunk" and how can you tell, so they don't enforce it. As for driving when you've been drinking, that is a HUGE no-no in Ireland. Very few people do it anymore (in the cities anyway).
Awww... you never got to ride a double-decker bus? That's sad. We have them here too. Do you know what's even cooler though? Double-decker TRAINS! They have them in Holland and I got to go on one.
That's cool that you're from Chicago - my sister spent two summers there and she loved it.
Merry Christmas to you too and I hope you enjoy your trip home.

12/14/2005 5:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home